discussion with my grandson
my daughter and grandson came to visit yesterday. it's been a while since we've seen our grandson. he and I talked.
my grandson has it all figured out. he's leveraged his bachelor's degree into a handsome 6-figure salary. he's going to leverage his master's degree (in progress) into even more money. he's going to accumulate enough money to marry his girlfriend and move into a big house. they'll have rooms for him and her, for him, for her, and for anything (or anybodies?) that their hearts desire. not only separate bedrooms for the kids, but also college will be paid for them before they're born. he has it all figured out.
I asked him if he was having fun. he stumbled for an answer.
I told my grandson that talking with him was like talking to myself when I was his age. I had it all figured out too. then along came his mom. then came the draft and two years in the army. then a son and two more daughters, and the career--the highs, the lows and the in-betweens. then came retirement and old age.
I told my grandson that spontaneity is the spice of life. that his grandmother and I wouldn't have enjoyed our first house (not new) as much if there hadn't been holes in the carpet and in the screens and no air conditioner or dishwasher. we fixed the screens--the new carpet, air conditioner and dishwasher came later. I told him that at times there were struggles with work and family life. I told him that at times getting old can be a struggle too--but that there are also good times.
Luke 12: 13-21 is a cautionary tale. it doesn't say if the rich man had a wife and children to share his wealth after he died. it does say that "... life does not consist in an abundance of possessions" and that those who have lots of money and many possessions may have missed the point.
Comments
Post a Comment